Tuesday

Data visualization


Visualization is important to me. I know myself as a visual person. I like to imagine what I see and see what I imagine. See one of  the reasons here. Also in presentations, visualization can help audience to better understand concepts and walk through the data presenter tries to explain. This one is a good example:



Should we limit ourselves to 3 dimensions? 




(Imagining Ten Dimensions in Two Minutes)

You can find the longer version here.

JavaScript(JS) has changed many visual effects and made it much easier for delivering data in visual. You can use JS in you website (examples are here (1,2,3)). But many of us don't use JS. Also we would like to use free softwares. Here is a list of good ones. 

(By the way, as a graduate student I read lots of papers and many times I wish I could understand better writer's point of view in the paper. I put most of the things I would like to read in my Kindle. First of all I can have tons of papers anytime I want (even in bed in the middle of the night when everywhere is dark and cold, everything is one click away). Using Kindle, I can comment on papers and most importantly as a non-native English speaker, I can use dictionary just by holding my finger on the word I don't know. I see a world which papers are interactive. When you hit a point on the graph its shows where that data came from. You can go through the data and see the raw inputs. You can manipulate them, play with them and compare them with the baselines you have. Future scientific papers will be more exciting.)

In addition, visualization in multi-objective optimization will be very helpful. Matlab users may have a look at this. I found Dr. Reed's AeroVis software fascinating. Please let me know if you have more suggestions. 

P.S. Another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment